Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Yea... I'm a nerd! So what?!?

I have to give credit where credit is due here. The title from this blog actually came from my brother about 25 years ago. He was a clever little guy in his youth and wrote a paper for his 5th grade class, and it's something I've always wanted to use. So thanks Scott for the inspiration.

This came to me once again as I prepare to speak in front of 200+ CTE teachers next week about technology. I've talked to this crowd before, but in smaller chunks about something specific in regards to technology. What I decided to do is to TRY and encourage each of these teachers to find their inner nerd. Not glasses and pocket-protectors, but in the sense of finding something that they are passionate about and embrace it. They might already do that, who knows. But the real question is, do their kids do it? What's their hook for wanting to learn more? Most of them are in CTE classes because they want to be there and they find it enlightening and encouraging. At once you get a kid that is nerded out, what better barometer for success is there. THEY WANT TO LEARN MORE!!!!

I'll write (and share slides) after my session next week, but I thought I'd start with sharing my thoughts in a blog. Thanks to Merlin Mann for his talk at Deconstruct that has helped with framing some of my talking points. Thanks to all my ADE family for your inspiration. And of course, thanks to Fresno ROP for the honor.... I have goosebumps!

No comments: